Subject: Butterfly
Location: Cooper Mt. Washington County, Oregon
WTB,
My friends and I took photos of this butterfly and are having trouble finding the species. There was a pair in a meadow at Cooper Mt., Washington County, Oregon, about 500 ft. elevation. We are using The Guide to Butterflies of Oregon and Washington by William Neill. We looked at field marks and host plants. Any information you can give us will be greatly appreciated.
We are birders, with basic wildflower ID abilities. We are working to add butterflies and bugs to our repertoire.
Thank you,
Signature: Judi Dodson

Silvery Blue

Silvery Blue

Dear Judi,
Your butterfly is one of the Blues in the subfamily Polyommatinae and we believe we have correctly identified it as a Silvery Blue, Glaucopsyche lygdamus, thanks to the images posted to BugGuide, where it is described as having:  “Underside gray-brown; both wings with row of white-ringed, round black spots. “

Thank you so much.  And I appreciate the link to BugGuide.  We will definitely be using their information. I’ll also be sending the link to What’s That Bug to my friends.
Judi Dodson