Subject: who is this?
Location: Tucson Arizona, Sonoran Dessert.
Hello Bug man,
My name is Brodrik, and I live in the desert west of Tucson Arizona. Many of these flying insects have made their presents know here recently, and I wonder how they are called in the science world so that I may investigate why they are now here and visable.
Many thanks,
Brodrik.
Signature: Bug man

Iron Cross Blister Beetle

Iron Cross Blister Beetle

Dear Brodrik,
This is an Iron Cross Blister Beetle in the genus
Tegrodera, and each spring, they make seasonal appearances in desert areas of Arizona, California and Baja.  It is our Bug of the Month for May 2014.

Location: Tucson, Arizona

2 Responses to Iron Cross Blister Beetle

1. Darcy says:

We have lived in Marana, az for 14 years…..we got these beetles this year…. Why? We have never seen them before…and we are outdoors a lot around our yard…What’s up this year….Thanks, Darcy

Insect populations fluctuate from year to year based on food supplies, weather conditions and other factors. We don’t know what is causing your local situation, but we have not received an unusually high number of reports of Iron Cross Blister Beetles this year.