Subject: Bug Identification
Location: South East Texas
I found this insect on a piece of OSB wood I had lying on the grass, I thought it was a cockroach at first glance but I immediately knew it was something else. It was walking back and forth on the board, it wouldn’t go in to the grass. I trapped it under a glass pot cover and examined it a bit, I noticed that it retrieved its legs and head in to its body, kind of like a turtle, from the force of the cover coming down around it. After a little while it started to walk again, this time inside the glass cover;I decided to take a video of it. I realized it had wings that allowed it to fly while doing this, I screen captured it and included it in the photos I uploaded.
I just want to know if you guys had any idea what this bug is because I cant seem to find out for my self.
Signature: Alex V

Eyed Elater

Eyed Elater

Hi Alex,
Though we have no shortage of images of Eyed Elaters on our site, we absolutely love your image showing the soft flight wings which are revealed when the rigid elytra are spread.

Location: Texas