Subject: Neacoryphus lateralis?
Location: Santa Fe, NM
I was walking around Santa Fe, NM yesterday and somehow ended up with this guy tangled in my hair! My sister extricated it and identified it as some sort of benign seed bug, so we released it nearby after taking some pictures. It looks to me like the Neacoryphus lateralis specimens in your site’s seed bug files. I don’t remember seeing any other individuals in the area, though–just this one!
Signature: Cat

Seed Bug:  Melacoryphus lateralis

Seed Bug: Melacoryphus lateralis

Dear Cat,
We are in total agreement with your identification, but in the interest of modern taxonomy, we need to make a correction.  The genus for this Seed Bug is now listed on BugGuide as being
Melacoryphus lateralis, and there is a note:  “Orig. Comb: Neacoryphus lateralis Dallas, 1852″ which implies genus lumping.

Seed Bug:  Melacoryphus lateralis

Seed Bug: Melacoryphus lateralis

Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico

One Response to Seed Bug

1. Mary Ann says:

Has anyone ever reported being bitten by a seed bug? I’ve heard they can if they’re deydrated, even tho it’s rare. Ever since they showed up inside (we’re in Carefree, Arizona right next to a desert wash), I’ve had a few bites that we thought were just mosquitos, but they were extremely itchy and have developed into significant allergic dermatitis on both arms and ankles for weeks now, not responding to treatment. Still seeing a few of the beetles in the house some evenings, sometimes crawling on me. Thanks for any input!