Subject: HELP!!!!
Location: SC
Hi! I am finding these bugs everywhere. They are mostly around windows and are all small… No longer than half of my pinky nail. I’ve looked around at different photographs and am finding conflicting answers. TIA for your help!!
Signature: Sarah

Smoky Brown Cockroach Nymph

Smoky Brown Cockroach Nymph

Hi Sarah,
Though it is not normally listed as a species that infests homes, we have gotten numerous reports of sightings of Smoky Brown Cockroach,
Periplaneta fuliginosa, nymphs in homes, so we have begun tagging them as Household Pests.  The University of Minnesota Extension site lists the home infesting Cockroaches as:  “There are four kinds of cockroaches that can infest homes in Minnesota, including German cockroach, brownbanded cockroach, American cockroach, and Oriental cockroach. These four species can be major pests in restaurants, hospitals, warehouses, offices and buildings with food-handling areas. “  We will seek another opinion on the pest status of the Smoky Brown Cockroach.

Update to Pest Status Inquiry by Eric Eaton
I have no answer for this….although it is highly possible that the females deposit their egg cases (oothecae) in crevices under siding or something and then the nymphs initially find their way indoors.  That is my only theory.  I have certainly seen adults of this species crawling around the exterior of buildings.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in a heavy wooded area on the water so I was assuming it might be a baby waterbug as we call them in SC.

Location: South Carolina

One Response to Immature Smoky Brown Cockroach: Pest Species or Not???

1. Steph Wilton says:

hi there, I am having the same issue, do u know what they are yet please? I keep seeing them almost everyday on the floor either dead, alive and it fits the description. I am having no luck on what they are myself but I think it is harming on my dogs (chihuahuas) lot of ear infections and one of them has a red rash thing on his lip and snout area and itchy 🙁 and apparently these things do bite
    I live in Australia.
    I want to get rid of them but sort of having no luck. have tried pest control for general, fleas and carpet beetles and it works for a couple of weeks but comes back and I have no clue where they are coming from.
    Once I know what they are, that will be a start for a solution 🙂 hope u can help 🙂