Subject: HELP!!!!
Location: SC
Hi! I am finding these bugs everywhere. They are mostly around windows and are all small… No longer than half of my pinky nail. I’ve looked around at different photographs and am finding conflicting answers. TIA for your help!!
Signature: Sarah

Smoky Brown Cockroach Nymph

Smoky Brown Cockroach Nymph

Hi Sarah,
Though it is not normally listed as a species that infests homes, we have gotten numerous reports of sightings of Smoky Brown Cockroach,
Periplaneta fuliginosa, nymphs in homes, so we have begun tagging them as Household Pests.  The University of Minnesota Extension site lists the home infesting Cockroaches as:  “There are four kinds of cockroaches that can infest homes in Minnesota, including German cockroach, brownbanded cockroach, American cockroach, and Oriental cockroach. These four species can be major pests in restaurants, hospitals, warehouses, offices and buildings with food-handling areas. “  We will seek another opinion on the pest status of the Smoky Brown Cockroach.

Update to Pest Status Inquiry by Eric Eaton
I have no answer for this….although it is highly possible that the females deposit their egg cases (oothecae) in crevices under siding or something and then the nymphs initially find their way indoors.  That is my only theory.  I have certainly seen adults of this species crawling around the exterior of buildings.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in a heavy wooded area on the water so I was assuming it might be a baby waterbug as we call them in SC.

Location: South Carolina