Subject: Ant mimicry?
Location: Case Grande, AZ
My father’s cat was playing with a large bug yesterday night (4/28/14) that I have not been able to identify on the internet. He lives in Casa Grande, Arizona where there is a vast amount of desert. It is the tail end of Spring and currently 90 degree weather during the day and in the 60’s at night. He sent me this photo of the bug inside a medicine bottle but it isn’t all that clear. It appears to have four sets of legs which indicate that it is not an insect but likely an arachnid though not likely a scorpion since it is missing pinchers and a stinger. It also seems to have an abdomen, thorax and a head with antennae and what looks to be mandibles, which means that it is not a spider unless it is ant mimicry. As far as the whereabouts of this thing at the present time, my father dropped it off by a canal near his home because he does not like to kill things.
Signature: Erika H.

Windscorpion

Windscorpion

Hi Erika,
Despite its common name of Windscorpion, this Arachnid in the order Solifugae is considered harmless since it does not have venom.  Large specimens might deliver a painful bite if carelessly handled.  Because of your father’s kindness to the lower beasts, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.  Windscorpions are also called Sun Spiders.

Location: Casa Grande, Arizona