Subject: caterpillars taking over vine
Location: Louisiana
I have recently begun renovation on an old industrial lot and have been trying to identify many of the plant species that have taken over. I am a novice, so I’m not even sure what the vine is, my guess is morning glory. upon my visit to the lot today I have observed an abundance of an orange headed caterpillar eating away at it. There are very many of these, but they are isolated to one vine. I would greatly appreciate assistance in identifying them as I have great curiosity about the ecosystem in new Orleans, Louisiana. I have taken this photo today, April 27.
Signature: the curious prancing unicorn

Sawfly Larvae

Sawfly Larvae3

Hi curious prancing unicorn,
These are not caterpillars.  They are the larvae of Sawflies, and your mistake is a common error.  Without knowing the species of plant they were feeding upon, it might be difficult to correctly identify these Sawfly Larvae to the species level, but they do resemble this image of Birch Sawflies from BugGuide, so we believe they are in the family Argidae.  You can browse through the images on BugGuide to see if you can find a good match.

Sawfly Larvae

Sawfly Larvae

Location: Louisiana