Subject: Blue legged Mystery
Location: Andover, NJ
April 26, 2014 8:48 am
Hoping you can help me with yet another mystery. I found this wasp-like insect on a service berry bush this morning. It was climbing around on the buds but did not appear to be gathering food, although it was quite active. It was very small, around 1/3 inch in length. I am wondering if it a newly emerged wasp or bee of some sort?
Signature: Deborah Bifulco

Webspinning Sawfly

Webspinning Sawfly

Hi Deborah,
There are not too many images available online of your insect, a Webspinning Sawfly,
Pamphilius semicinctus, and your images are among the best.  Though BugGuide has three images, there is no species specific information available, but there is some information on the family Pamphiliidae on BugGuide, including:  “Adults have many-segmented antennae” and “larvae spin webs in a variety of woody plants where they feed on foliage.”  Since you observed your individual on Serviceberry, that might be a good indication that it is the host plant.  Watch for the larvae forming webs, and if you happen to observe them, please take some images and send them our way so we can update this posting, which is a new species for our site.

Webspinning Sawfly

Webspinning Sawfly

Webspinning Sawfly

Webspinning Sawfly

Location: Andover, New Jersey