Subject: Black & Yellow 2 inch Bug
Location: Concord CA
Should I be concerned about this bug? Or is it just a beetle? It is about two inches long with four inch antennae. The head is black. The body is mostly yellow from the head to the black band before getting to the yellow butt area. There are two symmetrically located black dots in the yellow area of its back. The legs and antennae appear to be brown.
I found this bug on an exterior garage wall under a light on Sunday, April 20, 2014. We live in Concord, CA, about 35 miles east of San Francisco. It is starting to stay warm throughout the day (average of 70’s to 80’s). The weather is cool at night with dew in the morning, and dry/not humid during the day.
The closest I could come to identifying it is calling an “Instable Longhorn beetle Judolia spp Family Cerambycidae” from the website address below:
http://share2.esd105.org/rsandelin/Fieldguide/Animalpages/Insects/Beetles.htm
The attached photo was taken with my iPhone and emailed to me as “Actual” size.
I’m not sure what to make of it. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Raymond Winters
Signature: Ray W. of Concord CA

Eucalyptus Longhorn

Eucalyptus Longhorn

Dear Ray,
While you have misidentified this Longhorn Borer Beetle, you did get the family correct.  This is actually a Eucalyptus Longhorned Borer and it is an invasive species in Southern California, but luckily, its host tree is also an introduced genus, the Eucalyptus trees, which are ubiquitous in Southern California.  More information on Eucalyptus Longhorned Borers can be found on the UC Davis Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program website.

Location: Concord, California