Subject: Raining shrimp?
Location: Fairhope, AL
I emptied the water out of a large bowl I had left outside the other day, but since it rained again yesterday I went to empty it again today and found about ten of these baby shrimp in the bowl. I live about 5 miles from Mobile Bay, but I still thought that was kind of weird… then I found your page and concluded they might be lawn shrimp. The antennae fell off before I took the picture.
Signature: Ray

Lawn Shrimp

Lawn Shrimp

Hi Ray,
You are correct that this is a terrestrial amphipod known as a Lawn Shrimp.  They are also known as House Hoppers because they sometimes enter homes in large numbers after a rain.  Lawn Shrimp are native to Australia, but they have been introduced to North America, and most of our reports come from California.  We have also gotten reports from Florida, but we believe your account from Alabama is a first for us.  Lawn Shrimp can proliferate in great numbers in gardens, but they are generally not noticed until it rains and they enter homes where they quickly die.

Location: Fairhope, Alabama

13 Responses to Lawn Shrimp

1. Fred says:

Found them at the bottom of cat’s water bowl last couple of days after several days oh heavy rain, soil saturation and flooding . So they guess they’ve hopped over to Texas, as well. Lakefront at beautiful Lake Conroe.

BugGuide still only lists North American sightings in California.

• Tony says:

I have been looking at these things in my yard and in my door ways for about 4 years now and today i finally found there name! Charleston,South Carolina, My yard is INFESTED with them every time it Rains!

2. Haley says:

I just found some land shrimp out by my pool in Florida! I was swimming and saw one and did a double take. They’re so weird!

3. Shanna mcfall says:

We had some heavy rains in Corona California and we found these lawn shrimp in our pool and animals water bowls…this happened for about 3 days.

4. Mike Hurd says:

confirmed sighting in Houston, Tx. Freaked out one morning after all of our rain recently. swept up hundreds by the front door (inside). walked through them in the dark barefoot, Super!…. good news is that they do die indoors quickly.

5. Paul Mizell says:

In the last couple of years I have had hundreds of these lawn shrimp come in my house. I just the other day found out what they were. I live in Pascagoula Ms. By spraying around patio door seems to have helped to keep them out.

6. We have them in Macon Ga. too! Saw a yellow one yesterday stuck on my sliding glass door. And yes it had been raining for several days.

7. Debbie Lee says:

We just had an invasion of these in our house just outside Charleston, SC! I believe they came inside during Tropical Storm Bonnie – I found a few dozen of them inside our back door.

8. Tony says:

Charleston,South Carolina my yard is infested with them every time it rains!!!! There in my house Door ways in corers on my carpet,dead Orange!,The look like MAMOTHED FLEAS!

9. Bill Patton says:

Found about 20 in my laundry room which is by the back door a couple were hopping around

10. Shirley says:

My entire driveway was cover with this bug and they were all dead last year summer of 2018. Today April of 2019 they are back dead all over my driveway only in the backyard. I have been living at this home for over 30 years and this is the first time I have seen or heard of this bug. What can I do to get rid and is it harm to animals?