Subject: Red Body Spider
Location: Monterey Park, CA
April 18, 2014 12:09 am
Was at the park and a spider with red body jumped on my nephew. What is it?
Signature: Penny

Johnson Jumper

Johnson Jumper

Hi Penny,
We are serious when we inform you that this is a Jumping Spider in the family Salticidae, and we believe it is a Johnson Jumper,
Phidippus johnsoni.  According to BugGuide:  “Not harmful to humans, although like all spiders it will inflict a painful bite if provoked, and this species is reported to be more aggressive than other jumpers.” 

Thank you very much for your prompt response to my query.  I’ve never seen a spider with this bright red coloring before.  It was beautiful.
Sincerely,
Penny

Location: Monterey Park, California

2 Responses to Johnson Jumper

1. Jim says:

I can’t guarantee it was the same species, but when I was growing up in the L.A. area I encountered many jumping spiders similar to this specimen, none of which bit me. On a couple of occasions, though, male spider would start waving their front arms at me as if they were beginning their mating dance. Seemed friendly.