Subject: Polyphemus?
Location: Contra Costa County, CA
He was on the window seal at the office. I tried to get good pictures of the front and wings.
Signature: Fel

Polyphemus Moth

Polyphemus Moth

Dear Fel,
Thanks for sending your images of a male Polyphemus Moth.  We don’t get many Polyphemus images from California.  Most are from the states east of Texas and Canada.  You followup email offered to submit lower resolution files.  We can handle large files and we like the best quality available since we need to reformat every image prior to posting anyways. 

Location: Contra Costa County, California

2 Responses to Polyphemus Moth from California

1. Jim Scruggs says:

I live in Ramona, CA (San Diego County) and have found a total of 5 of these moth caterpillars devouring my potted vegetable plant leaves. Man they can wipe all of the leaves out in a single day. Never seen an adult moth in the wild here. Let me know if you want me to send a photo of one of these caterpillars. Not sure how to do that on this site.

2. Arne Christiansen says:

… and I think we found one on a stucco wall, somewhat protected from windows in weather mid-60s. Lovely sight to be sure.