Subject: Only curiosity…
Location: Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic
April 15, 2014 7:24 am
Many warm greetings from the Dominican Republic. I saw this beautiful insect resting over the ceiling at the country house of a friend. All the time we spent on the terrace, this curious insect remained in that position. If it’s possible, can Whatsthatbug can give me any information on this peculiar insect.
Thanks in advance
Signature: Alejandro

Walkingstick

Walkingstick

Hi Alejandro,
Your file name was correct.  This is a Stick Insect or Walkingstick in the order Phasmida.  It appears a Stick Insect appeared on a Dominican Republic stamp in 1999 according to Asahi-net.  We will continue to attempt to identify the species of Stick Insect you submitted.

Daniel, many thanks for your information and your support.

Location: Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic

4 Responses to Maria Palito or Stick Mary from Dominican Republic

1. Alejandro says:

Many thanks for your information. In the Dominican Republic this bug has the funny name of “María Palito” , in english that would be as “Stick Mary” roughly speaking.

Thanks Alejandro,
      We noticed that on the stamp, but we couldn’t figure out the relevance. We will have to change the subject line on the posting.

2. this is an adult male of species which is being described now, will belong to a new genus but closely related to Haplopus.
    ID by Oskar Conle