Subject: red bug, white spots, black legs
Location: Houston, TX
just sent a note – have to correct it. This was found on Jan 11, 2014 in Houston. And I didn’t upload all the shots
Signature: Tom Lawson

Immature Milkweed Assassin Bug

Immature Milkweed Assassin Bug

Hi Tom,
This is a beneficial, predatory Milkweed Assassin Bug nymph,
Zelus longipes, and it should be handled with caution as they are known to bite.  The bite is not considered dangerous, but it can be painful.

Milkweed Assassin Bug Nymph

Milkweed Assassin Bug Nymph

Thanks so much – I’ll be caredul!

Location: Houston, Texas

7 Responses to Immature Milkweed Assassin Bug

1. Hilde says:

We over winter in Ocala, Florida, today we found several Milkweed
    Assassin Bug Nymph on our bushes in the front yard just off the patio. How do we get rid of them?. the stems are turning black as are the leaves while the underside of the leaves have white spots in them.

Milkweed Assassin Bugs do not harm milkweed plants. They are predators.

• David Fitts, Sr. says:

My cousin just posted a picture of a bug on her Facebook page and I identified it as a milkweed assassin bug. She lives in Florida and stated, as Hilda did, that the leaves on the plants having the MABs are dying. They may be predators but it seems they may also be causing harm to the plants. Either that or they are being attracted to some other species damaging the plants.

We are confident that the Milkweed Assassin Bugs are not responsible for the decline of your cousin’s milkweed plants.

2. catherine says:

I swear this same bug is eating the stems of and fruit of my cantaloupe plants! They are all clumped together. Maybe 50 of them and the leaves of the plant further down the stem are dying.

3. Catherine Sult says:

Ok I stand corrected. Upon more research I have figured out it is the nymph of the leaf footed stink bug. I now want the Assassin bug to kill them