Subject: Identify bug
Location: Coimbra, Portugal
April 12, 2014 9:01 am
I’m from Portugal, and I live in a village where you can find a lot of this kind of bug. Usually they’re in windows or walls, and they barely move. Sometimes I see one and in the next day it is in the same exact place. They look like they have wings but I never saw it fly, even when you lightly touch them. But they move! They look like they have two really big needles (but thin) on the bottom but they look inoffensive.
Signature: David

Mayfly

Mayfly

Hi David,
This is a Mayfly in the order Ephemeroptera, and winged adults do not eat and only live a few days, long enough to mate and reproduce.  Larval nymphs are aquatic and they are known as naiads.  Since adults are weak fliers, they are generally found near the water source that spawned them, so we expect there is a sluggish stream or pond nearby.  The threadlike tails or cerci are not harmful.  See Encyclopedia Britannica for more information on Mayflies.

Yes, there is a water source nearby. Thank you for your answer! Keep up the good work!

Location: Coimbra, Portugal