Subject: Varied Carpet Beetle?
Location: Eugene, Oregon
April 10, 2014 1:15 am
I thought because I’ve found five or so on the bed it was bed bugs, but the pattern and the fact that they have wings hidden (like a lady bugs) indicates its not. I’ve have some possible “bites” on my stomach (which is covered when I sleep) and no where else. Went from panic to relieved, and hope this is the right reaction to have. They can eat my clothes, I don’t care as much if its if its not me…
Signature: V

Varied Carpet Beetle

Varied Carpet Beetle

Dear V,
You are correct that this is a Varied Carpet Beetle, and this year we have been receiving considerably more identification requests for them and in any other year, that we can remember.  It seems there are about five reemails per day with images of Varied Carpet Beetles.  Adult beetles feed on pollen, and the larva do the damage in the home.  The larvae will eat organic items, and we don’t believe your clothes will be significantly damaged unless you favor furs and clothes with feathers.  Your food items in the pantry are at a much greater risk of being eaten than your clothing is.

Location: Eugene, Oregon

3 Responses to Varied Carpet Beetle

1. Dave in Frederick says:

I’m not so sure about the clothes being at lesser risk. I’m pretty sure these little buggers destroyed my only two wool suits, plus several other wool items. I saw several adults in my apartment last summer, and I found a beetle larvae casing on one of the suits, along with a whole bunch of little holes. I haven’t seen any moths, so I’m pretty sure it was the beetles. Of course, I didn’t find out until two days before I was supposed to be attending a wedding.

2. Shanelle Harris says:

How do you get rid of them?