Subject: Bug identification
Location: Bandung, Indonesia.
North west Bandung, Indonesia.
Adjacent to a small stream. Altitude 1000m. Towards end of wet season.
Location – Lat: -6.8468, Long: 107.5815
Found feeding on a leaf, but not on the leaf itself, some kind of deposit. When I disturbed the leaf, the bugs did not take flight, just scrambled about.
Size – small, about 6mm long. My first thought was a fly, but the antennae don’t seem right. Also there is no visible ‘drumstick’. A group of 3 ocelli are visible, so this rules out moth. The bugs were not bothered by my intrusion, so this rules out wasps. The eyes are small, indicating a nocturnal bug. The time was 09:11 (dawn 05:30).
Hope you can help.
Dave
Signature: Vodkaman

Barklice, we believe

Barklice, we believe

Dear Vodkaman,
These creatures resemble North American Barklice in the suborder Psocomorpha, and armed with that information, we did locate a similar looking Barklouse image on the Potokito Myshot Blog, but we have not been able to locate any other images to substantiate our supposition.  That individual, which is not an exact match to your images, is classified as:  “Suborder : Psocomorpha, Infraorder : Caeciliusetae, Family : Caeciliusidae – Lizard Barklice, Genus :
Valenzuela.”  According to BugGuide:  “Barklice feed on lichens and fungi on tree bark.”  We will try to do additional research on your request.

Barklouse, we believe

Barklouse, we believe

Barklice, we believe

Barklice, we believe

Location: Bandung, Indonesia

3 Responses to Probably Barklice from Indonesia

1. Vodkaman says:

That is great information, well done and many thanks.

This also explains what they were feeding on. From my images, there did seem to be a kind of ‘scum’ on the leaves. I thought this might be pollen, but there were no blooms in the immediate vicinity. The area is very humid, with the stream, canopy of trees, hot sun and frequent rain, ideal conditions for fungal growth.

A month ago, I saw something small out of the corner of my eye, scuttering across the bark, but when I looked, I could not find. It was probably these. Now I know what to look for. I have searched for the ‘barklice’ again since and have not found them, but will keep looking.

So helpful. Thanks for time and effort. I do know how long this kind of research takes.

Dave

You are most welcome Dave. If you do any additional research and you discover a species name, please let us know so that we can update our posting. As you can imagine, we have considerably more “bugs” to track down than you do, and we did try for some time to identify the species, but alas, we had no luck.

• Vodkaman says:

Yes, I am working on it. I have found images of the same species in India, but no identification unfortunately. I will be sure to let you know if I find anything.

Dave