Subject: What is this bug
Location: Berkshire
April 8, 2014 2:02 am
I have hundreds of these bugs on my driveway, getting more each day
Signature: Sam Rutter

Leather Jackets

Leather Jackets

Dear Sam,
You have Leatherjackets, the larvae of Crane Flies.  They often become noticeable after a rain.  Getty Images has an image of a Leatherjacket that is identified as
Tipula padulosa.  According to The Garden Safari:  “The larvae, which may be up to 4 centimeters, are called leatherjackets. They are responsible for quite some damage in a lawn because it eats the roots of grass. And the lawn is most effected at times it is most vulnerable which is in winter. The larvae of the European Crane Fly are extremely able to sustain winter conditions and remain active even in spite of severe freezing temperatures. The adults are absolutely harmless as they don’t eat anything at all. This species is common all over Western Europe. It has also invaded the United States, where it is considered a real pest.”

Leatherjacket

Leatherjacket

Location: Berkshire, UK