Subject: Ant?
Location: Pasadena CA
Hello, About a few hours ago I found what looks like an ant in my kitchen. I am writing to you because this possible ant is the biggest one I have ever seen around these parts. Normally We see the tiny black ants & out in lots we see red ants, but like I said, this one is much larger than any I have seen before.
It is about half an inch long, and about a quarter of an inch tall. It is a dark brown, almost black ant with Honey (lighter) colored legs. It has a light rectangle patch on its back (Thorax?). Elbowed antennae. At first I thought maybe termite? but from searching online it did not look like one. As far as location, this insect was found in Pasadena CA in an apartment. Weather is spring (though warm enough to feel like summer). We have only seen the one so far & I have it contained in a specimen box. Please let me know if you need anything else & thanks!
Signature: Jeeb

Ant

Ant

Hi Jeeb,
We don’t recognize your Ant, and since it was found indoors in the spring, we would not eliminate the possibility that this is a queen ant attempting to establish a new colony after loosing her wings subsequent to her nuptial flight.  Because of its large size, we suspect this might be a Carpenter Ant in the genus
Camponotus and you can see some examples on BugGuide.  We hope someone with more knowledge on Ants can provide a definitive identification.

Possibly Carpenter Ant

Possibly Carpenter Ant

Location: Pasadena, California

One Response to What’s That Ant??? Possibly a Carpenter Ant

1. amberley amerine says:

I have had a recent experience as well as my neighbor with these ants attacking both her and my daughter. The bites are extremely itchy and leave large red marks. My neighbors attack occured the beginning of 07/2017 and my daughter was 08/2017 and we are located in glendale, arizona. Any more information would be great and sorry I do not have a picture just a discription from my neighbor. A large black ant with a red stripe down its back unlike any we have seen before.