Subject: Saudi Arabian bug
Location: Tabuk, Saudi Arabia
Hello Bugman!
I’m currently living in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia and am amazed at the wide variety of fauna around the compound. Recently I have seen lots of these critters crawling around on the ground at night. I’m curious as to what they are, please help!
Thanks, Lisa
Signature: Lisa

Mole Cricket

Mole Cricket

Dear Lisa,
This is a Mole Cricket, and we get identification requests from all over the world.  Mole Cricket identification are among our most frequent identification requests.  Mole Crickets are subterranean dwellers and many species are capable of flight.

Thanks so much for the swift response. I just heard that they’re edible, do you have any recipes? Only joking, it’s a fascinating time of the year here in Saudi, just last night I saw a praying mantis, very convincing stick insect, numerous locusts and grass hoppers and many species of moths. My best finds so far are a camel spider and the mole crickets, amazing!
Thanks again,
Lisa

Location: Tabuk, Saudi Arabia