Subject: Please help me identify this bug
Location: Needham, Ma
Could you please help me identify this bug, I thought it was a wasp, but someone commented that it is a hoverfly. I am very grateful if you have the time to help me. I am identifying it for my involvement in Project Noah.
Sincerely,
Signature: Cynthia West

Hover Fly

Hover Fly

Dear Cynthia,
This is indeed a Hover Fly in the family Syrphidae, but mistaking it for a wasp is understandable as many Hover Fly species mimic stinging insects like wasps and flies.  We believe this might be
Helophilus fasciatus based on photos posted to BugGuide.  Additionally it is a species that appears early in the spring.   Was your photo really taken this spring?  We thought it might be too early to have flowers blooming this spring as the winter was so severe.

Thanks for your quick response! I appreciate it very much. The photo was taken last fall, October 2013 in Massachusetts. I had never heard of a Hover fly before so I guess I have learned something new and exciting! I can now rename it a Hover fly on my Project Noah page. I hope you have a great rest of the weekend!
Cynthia

Location: Needham, Massachusetts