Subject: They’re everywhere!
Location: Central PA
There are at least a dozen of these bugs hanging out on my front porch.. and they love to hitch a ride indoors by falling/jumping onto my clothes as I walk through the door. What are they?
Signature: Randi

Stonefly

Winter Stonefly

Dear Randi,
This is a Stonefly in the order Plecoptera, and it looks very similar to the Winter Stonefly in the genus
Taeniopteryx that is pictured on BugGuide.  The nymphs are aquatic, and according to BugGuide:  “nymphs of most spp. develop in cool, well-oxygenated water and do not tolerate pollution; therefore, their presence is an indicator of good water quality, and their absence in areas where they previously occurred may indicate pollution,” so you must have clean, unpolluted water nearby.

Location: Pennsylvania

One Response to Winter Stonefly

1. Julie F says:

These things have invaded my home! Not sure where they are getting in, but I probably remove 3 or 4 every day. Some are larger than others. They do no harm, but I wish they’d stay outdoors!
    I’m in southeast PA.