Subject: Corythucha species in so cal?
Location: Deukmejian Wilderness Park, La Crescenta, California 91214
I have been recently photographing a species of Lace Bug (Corythucha) for a biology project that I cannot identify. I have found these solely on the Thick-leaf Yerba Santa (Eriodictyon crassifolium) and observed clusters of the nymphs as well (which I have included in the photos). The adults seemed to be exhibiting some maternal care and am very curious to find out what species I have been observing as this is the only population I have been able to find in this area. I have collected these photos from Deukmejian Wilderness Park in La Crescenta, CA 91214 in the Alluvial community at an elevation of 2500 ft. I will greatly appreciate any information you can lend to me, thank you for your time.
Signature: Travis Farwell

Lace Bug

Lace Bug

Hi Travis,
You might want to try posting these images to BugGuide as well because we are a bit leery of providing an exact species identification on Lace Bugs which are quite similar in appearance.  For now, we are posting your excellent images in the hope that one of our readers can provide additional information.

Lace Bug Nymphs

Lace Bug Nymphs

Thank you for your help Daniel, I will be posting to BugGuide shortly.

Let us know if you get a definitive identification.

Lace Bug

Lace Bug

Location: La Crescenta, California