Subject: what’s this bug?
Location: CaboSan Lucas, Baja MEXICO
I saw this human palm sized spider in Cabo San Lucas Baja Mexico in February.
can you identify?
Signature: Okienap

Huntsman Spider

Huntsman Spider

Hi Okienap,
This male Huntsman Spider,
Heteropoda venatoria, is most likely originally from Central America, however, its range was greatly expanded to many warm climates with harbors because the Huntsman Spiders were transported with shipments of bananas, earning them the common name Banana Spider.  According to BugGuide:  “Can be swift and sometimes aggressive but not considered dangerously venomous to humans. May bite in self-defense if roughly handled; mildly painful bite (can be likened to a bee sting if spider injects venom).”  These Huntsman Spiders are frequently tolerated because they are nocturnal hunters that help to control cockroach populations.

Location: Cabo San Lucas, Baja, Mexico

4 Responses to Huntsman Spider from Mexico

1. aussietrev says:

Good timing. It has been storming quite heavily here the past few days in Queensland and a similar large Huntsman made its way inside last night and took up residence on the wall near the TV. Unfortunately for it, that wall attracts a lot of insects since it is bathed in the light from the TV and has become a favoured hunting ground for a native gecko, one of several that live in the ceiling. It soon spotted the Huntsman and quickly turned it into dinner despite them being not that dissimilar in size.

2. Harry_B says:

I found one exactly like that in my kitchen in Guadalajara, Jalisco.
    If I would have known it was a huntsman, I would have been friendlier to him.
    There is a YouTube video where a huntsman kills a brown recluse…