Subject: Insect found in house
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I have never seen an insect such as this before. It is very lethargic so I had no trouble capturing it. It is about a centimetre from nose to end of body. The body seems to be slightly concave when viewed from the side or the top. It cannot climb glass.
Signature: Xerli

Masked Hunter Unmasked

Masked Hunter Unmasked

Dear Xerli,
This is an immature, predatory Assassin Bug that is commonly called a Masked Hunter because the nymphs are sticky and they attract all manner of debris to their bodies, effectively masking them.  Your individual must be newly molted as it has not yet masked itself.  Here is a matching image from BugGuide to support our identification.

Hi Daniel, thanks for the info. I did notice that there is dust stuck to the body, but not a lot. How do they survive a Canadian winter, especially one like we have had in Winnipeg, Manitoba this year? Is this type very common here? I ask because I have not seen one before.
Regards,
Xerli

Hi Xerli,
Most of our reports of Masked Hunters come from homes, not the outdoors, so we can presume that they have adapted to cohabitation with humans.  We suspect that it might have been introduced to your home from some purchase or by hitch-hiking with a visitor.

Hi again, just answered all my own questions! Found the Bug Eric site http://bugeric.blogspot.ca/2013/01/true-bug-tuesday-masked-hunter.html
Xerli

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada