Subject: Red & back dot bug
Location: MT Pleasant SC
Hi bugman,
I’m new to the Charleston, SC area. Sitting on my front steps, I spotted this strange looking bug which I have never seen before. Can you identify it?
It’s Spring, late March, 2014.
Thanks for your help.
~Linda
Signature: Linda SC Coast

Palmetto Weevil

Palmetto Weevil

Dear Linda,
This impressive Weevil is a Palmetto Weevil or Giant Palm Weevil,
Rhynchophorus cruentatus, and it is found in several southern states.  According to BugGuide:  “Eggs are laid in the bases of leaves or in wounds in a dying host palm and hatch in ~3 days. Larvae have tend to feed primarily on the soft tissue surrounding the apical meristem. Mature grubs migrate to the periphery of the stem or petioles, build a cocoon from palm fibers and pupate. The adult emerges in a few weeks and may immediately break free of the cocoon or spend several days within the cocoon. The entire life cycle (egg to adult) takes ~84 days. Adults may live for several weeks (up to 26 weeks in captivity).”

Thank you for your prompt reply! Very interesting…. guess there’s no threat with this bug. It may have come from our dying or dead palm in the front which we’re having removed shortly.
Thanks again.
~Linda

Location: Mt Pleasant, South Carolina