Subject: What is this Beatle?
Location: Ashburn, V A 20147
March 22, 2014 10:31 am
I found this infestation in my storage room where the washer and dryer, storage of dog food, cleaning chemicals are. They don’t seem to be interested in the dog food. But have recently climbed to the window. What do I do?
The picture of the floor is the outside corner of the washer.
Signature: Candi

Varied Carpet Beetle Infestation

Varied Carpet Beetle Infestation

Varied Carpet Beetle

Varied Carpet Beetle

Varied Carpet Beetle

Whew….what a relief!  I didn’t think it was the dreaded bed bug but wanted to make sure.
I am a grandmother, it continues to amaze me what can be found on the internet.  When I did search on “what king of bug…”your website popped up.  Thank you for your quick reply.
Your organization performs a great service both to us humans and the bug world.  I know the importance of our bugs and their help in the natural balance of nature hence also our survival.  Just think “honey bees” to know how important to our survival they are.   I do share my beliefs with my 10 year old grandson and 13 year granddaughter, hoping to make a difference.
Keep up the good work!
Candi

Varied Carpet Beetle Infestation

Varied Carpet Beetle Infestation

Hi Again Candi,
Our original response was very brief.  We have been getting numerous identification requests for Varied Carpet Beetles from around the globe this year.  We were so charmed by your response to our brief identification that we dug through the email “trash” folder and decided to create a new posting and perhaps provide a bit more information.  Adult Carpet Beetles feed on pollen, and the large number of individuals near the windows indicate they are trying to get outside, though the weather might not be warm enough at this time.  The larvae of the beetles are the troublesome critters in the home.  They will feed on a wide variety of organic materials in the home, including the bargain bag of dogfood that might last for several months.  Look for the larvae among Fido’s food.  Thank you for educating your grandchildren about the wonders of the natural world and the importance of having respect for the lower beasts.

Location: Ashburn, Virginia

5 Responses to Varied Carpet Beetle Infestation

1. Kira P says:

I got mine from a carpet I bought at Wal-Mart! Its the only new item in the house.

• Karen O says:

Sometimes they fly in the window, lay eggs and you don’t see the infestation for months. It may not be from the new rug, but from the fresh spring air.

2. Klingwench says:

How does one rid one’s house of these carpet beetles? I keep finding them in my bedroom, although they’ve popped up in another upstairs bedroom as well. I can guarantee there’s no pollen in either room, but I was extremely distressed when one of the little critters crawled in my ear while I was asleep! Sounded like an elephant walking on crumpled paper. I was able to get it out with a Q-Tip, but I do not enjoy having to inspect the bedclothes each night looking for little black specks! I’d appreciate some advice. Thanks!

You need to locate and eliminate the larval food source, which is not pollen, in order to eliminate the infestation.

3. Linda says:

I have these little tiny hard shell bug im finding in my bedroom in my clothes. Will they eat my clothes? They are smaller than the tip end of a pencil. Help. Thanks