Subject: Found on snow !!
Location: Shea Lake, Quebec, Canada
March 23, 2014 10:26 am
Hello.. I was at my cottage ( I’ll put a google map link at the bottom ). The temperature was about +2 celsius. While walking in on a path we had made the day before, I notices what I thought was dust or soot from out wood burning fireplace, all alone the surface of the snow. I was more concentrated on the path, especially in the foot depressions left in the snow from walking on it. Then I noticed that the “soot” was moving !! Then I realizes I was looking at a bug of some sort. They were jumping like fleas !! I have video also. The first pictures shows the bugs up close and the second pictures shows the bugs next to the tire of my vehicle.
Any help will be appreciated.
Signature: sg.

Snow Fleas

Snow Fleas

Hi sg,
These Springtails are commonly called Snow Fleas because they are so small and because, as you observed, they jump.  They are not related to true Fleas, and they are benign creatures.  Snow Fleas often congregate in the sun while there is still snow on the ground.  They feed on lichens and when conditions are favorable, they can get quite plentiful.

Snow Fleas

Snow Fleas

Location: Shea Lake, Quebec, Canada