Subject: Unidentified beetle or fly
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
March 23, 2014 11:57 am
Hello bug lovers,
I caught this photo of a bug that looks like a fly which is as big as a tree sparrow. I first taught it was a bird who got trapped in my condo which is on the 16th floor. Its wings is wide and has striking orange veins. Which from a far looked like a bird and one would assume that since its on the 16th floor. So i wanted to help it find the openings to freedom but it kept flying low down the wall on the floor and beneath the sofa. So i decided to capture it first which was difficult cause i was a bit frightened by the size. I finally caught it in a container ( dont worry i didnt hurt the guy not even a scratch) then i took photos of it. I got worried since it decided not to move anymore after it got caught but it was only playing dead. Then i released it on the ground floor of my condo. It flew away really quick but it looked majestic. From the photo i took you can see its bright green neck. The only sound it made was from flapping the wings. Hope you can identify it for me b ecause this is the first time ever ive seen it. It is a really beautiful insect, you shouldve seen it fly with its wings spread wide and bright. I live in a condo which is in the heart of the city, Kuala Lumpur.
Signature: Danial

Cicada:  Tacua speciosa

Cicada: Tacua speciosa

Dear Danial,
This gorgeous insect is neither a beetle nor a fly, but rather a Cicada.  It is
Tacua speciosa, and there are several images on Cicada ManiaAccording to Cicada Mania:  “The Tacua speciosa is a beautiful cicada native to Malaysia, Indonesia, Borneo, Sumatra, and other countries & islands in the Malay Archipelago” and it “is one of the largest cicadas.”  Though you did not hear any sounds, Cicadas are among the loudest of all insects.

Cicada:  Tacua speciosa

Cicada: Tacua speciosa

Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia