Curious Girl does Spring in Europe (New species for WTB — I think)
Location:  Porto, Portugal
March 20, 2014
Hope you will forgive me Daniel for sending you the pictures this way. You can open just one mail and then pick & choose, and it’s much easier for me as I would not probably get to it if going through the web form. I do not know what most of them are and would like confirmation on those I think I might know. :~)
Seems the slow season is over!
Anyway…
I have some decent pictures of some insects both in Germany (Hanau this time) and Portugal (Porto though some from Tras os Montes soon) before I left (currently in Istanbul) so I will share a few with you, including a few I thought were just flying ants but turned out to be something far more interesting and even quite nice pictures so I am glad I bothered. Plus I do not think they are represented on the WTB site.
They are Ensign or Black Scavenger Flies of the family Sepsidae. 🙂 And like the big Crane Flies seem to have vestigal wings. Apparently all females too.
They are Ensign or Black Scavenger Flies of the family Sepsidae. 🙂
And thus concludes part one of CG’s Spring 2014 Euro tour. :~)
Thanks & Happy Nowruz Daniel! 🙂

Black Scavenger Fly

Black Scavenger Fly

Dear Curious Girl,
Thank you for your multiple attempts to get this plethora of new imagery to us.  You are correct that we do not have Black Scavenger Flies in the family Sepsidae represented on our site, so we are posting several of those images and creating a new category.  According to BugGuide:  “Small, shining blackish flies, sometimes with a reddish tinge; spherical head; abdomen narrowed at the base. Many species have a dark spot along the costal margin of the wing near the tip.” BugGuide also notes:  “Larvae live in excrement and various types of decaying matter. Adults found near material that the larvae feed on.”  It is somewhat difficult for us to create multiple postings from a single email, so for the time being, the only posting we are creating with these images is the Black Scavenger Fly posting.  When time permits, you can try resubmitting other images using our standard submission form, limiting each submission to a single species, and ensuring that location information is correct for that species.

Black Scavenger Fly

Black Scavenger Fly

Location: Porto, Portugal

2 Responses to Black Scavenger Flies

1. Curious Girl says:

Oh, did not get a notice these were posted.

Sorry Daniel. Learned my lesson. Seemed it would be easier (but probably not for you).

Do you want me to re-submit the other pics (or just let it go)?

Anyway, seems this particular fly that was posted (with no black spot on the wings) is, Nemopoda nitidula. Several sites say that the Sepsidae fly is often mistaken for flying ants which is of course what I thought they were. Glad I took the pictures anyway.

That is up to you if you want to go through the trouble. The format you sent was very difficult to reformat for posting.