Subject: A Dragonfly of some sort?
Location: South Central Pennsylvania
I took this photo in my yard last summer. I cannot find any photos anywhere that look similar.
I never saw one before. Hoping you can help to identify it.
Signature: Karen

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Red Footed Cannibalfly

Hi Karen,
Though this is a highly off season posting, we are nonetheless thrilled to post your spectacular image of one of the most adept insect predators in North America, the Red Footed Cannibalfly,
Promachus rufipes, a species of Giant Robber Fly.  Your individual appears to be feeding on a Wasp.  According to BugGuide:  “Preys on large flying insects. Has been reported to attack Ruby-throated Hummingbirds” with a link to Hilton Pond.

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Red Footed Cannibalfly eats Wasp

1. Karen says:

Thank you for your quick response! This one has been “bugging” me for some time.
    I thought for sure it was a Dragonfly of some sort. Thank you for the compliment on my photo!
    I was thrilled when he showed up and I had my camera in my hand.

2. thanks for the great pictures of this insect… seen it a lot lately and did not know what it is>