Subject: Bug in colorado
Location: Colorado
These bugs have prongs in front and move fast. They kind of look like big ants.
Signature: Doesn’t matter

Male European Earwig

Male European Earwig

The “prongs” are actually pincers or cerci on the abdomen, and they are in the back of the insect.  This is an Earwig in the order Dermaptera, and we believe it is a male European Earwig, Forficula auricularia, a species introduced to North America from Europe in about 1910 according to BugGuide, and now well established coast to coast.

Location: Colorado

One Response to Male European Earwig

1. ginna says:

These hideous biting insects showed up in swarming masses two years ago. The exterminator said we never used to have these in our state. Guess they must have migrated as stowaways so now we DO have them.

They were everywhere you looked, on faucet handles, hand towels, in BED, crawling up the sides of the house and under the screen doors, in my mailbox, etc…

I hope there is a cycle to their existence and they become less in number. I can put up with a lot of things but these really freak me out. And they BITE