Subject: Strange looking dead bug!
Location: Ireland
March 15, 2014 10:56 am
Hi there found this weird bug dead on sofa..there were 2 of them!  Founding n Ireland! Is this some sort of carpet beetle perhaps?
Signature: Ali

Lawn Shrimp

Lawn Shrimp

Hi Ali,
This looks like a terrestrial Amphipod,
Arcitalitrus sylvaticus, commonly called a Lawn Shrimp or House Hopper.  These Australian natives have become established in southern California as well as several other parts of the world.  According to BugGuide, their range is:  “Southeastern Australia (New South Wales and Victoria), as well as nearby areas of the Pacific, but introduced into New Zealand, the British Isles, Florida and California.”  They are known to enter homes when their garden habitat is flooded due to rains.

Location: Ireland

One Response to Lawn Shrimp in Ireland

1. E C Smith says:

I’ve just found a load of these! I’m on the Isle of Arran, west coast of Scotland, and yes, we’ve had a lot of very wet weather. Not got the best eyesight nowadays, and my carpet is the same colour, which is maybe why I’ve not noticed them before, but I found 6! Have now vacuumed very thoroughly and will pay more attention in future!