Subject: never seen it before..
Location: Bad Dürkheim, Rhineland Palatinate, Germany
hey bugman!
I am from Germany, exactly from Rhineland Palatinate.
So I opend the trunk of my car yesterday and a huge bug just lay there.. It tried to cover up, I guess.
It was already dead when I found it.
I have never seen something like this! Really big and colour was golden and green, it also got huge eyes.
It would be awesome if you know what kind of bug it is!
thank you!
Sarah
Signature: Sarah

Predaceous Diving Beetle

Predaceous Diving Beetle

Hi Sarah,
This is an aquatic beetle, most likely a Predaceous Diving Beetle in the family Dytiscidae.  Like many aquatic insects, Predaceous Diving Beetles are capable of flying from one body of water to another.  Your individual bears a resemblance to
Cybister laterimarginalis, a European species that is pictured on the Polish website Iconographia Coleopterorum Poloniae and on Wikimedia Commons

Predaceous Diving Beetle

Predaceous Diving Beetle

2 Responses to Predaceous Diving Beetle from Germany

1. Ando Vaan (aka Mardikavana) says:

This is great diving beetle (Dytiscus marginalis) male. I really appreciate picture of the ventral side because you can see structures that differ this specie from other smilar species like D. circumcinctus.