Subject: Walking stick from Peru
Location: Peru
March 9, 2014 8:00 am
Hello I took this photo of this phasmodea “walking stick” in a rainforest of Amazon in Peru, near Iquitos. I d like to know the ID if possible, thanks a lot!
Signature: Jiri Hodecek

Walkingstick

Walkingstick:  male Oreophoetes peruana

Hi Jiri,
This is sure an interesting looking and rather distinctive Walkingstick in the order Phasmida, but our initial attempts at a more specific identification have proven fruitless.  We are posting your image and we will enlist the assistance of our readership on this matter.  We could not locate any matching images on Insetologia, our sister site from Brazil.

Hello, thank u for a fast answer. Yeah I was not able to ID this one and I have much more photos of interesting insects from Peru. However I dont want to flood ur website with my posts :).
Mgr. Jiří Hodeček

Update: 
Thanks to a comment from Alan, we are able to provide a link to Reptilica that has a photo of a sexually dimorphic pair of
Oreophoetes peruana which shows this red coloration in the male.

Location: Iquitos, Peru

2 Responses to Phasmid from Peruvian Amazon: Oreophoetes peruana

1. Alan says:

Hi there. It appears to be a male Oreophotes, possibly O.peruana. They are one of the phasmids in culture in Europe and the UK, and they feed on various species of fern. Females and juveniles are green with yellow longitudinal stripes.