Subject: I know its not a ladybug, but what is it?
Location: Norman, OK
hopefully you can figure this out, I’ve had troubles identifying it. thank you! it is much larger than a ladybug and doesn’t have the same type of head and the antennae don’t seem remotely familiar… spots AND stripes? or would they be more like squares? lol
Signature: Lox

Swamp Milkweed Beetle

Swamp Milkweed Beetle

Dear Lox,
This sure looks like a Swamp Milkweed Beetle,
Labidomera clivicollis.  The black spotting pattern of the Swamp Milkweed Beetle is highly variable, and some individuals have more black than others.  BugGuide notes:  “Part of the orange and black milkweed mimicry complex, which includes Monarch Butterfly, Red Milkweed Beetle, milkweed bugs, and at least one assassin bug.   Larvae and adults of this species cut several side-veins of a milkweed leaf prior to feeding, to reduce the sticky latex that would otherwise be produced at their feeding sites. “

Yay! thank you so much!! I do believe you are correct, I would’ve never figured it out, as I’m not exactly knowledgeable about insects. It does make sense tho, because there where it was heading was a bunch of milkweed all around some rosebushes! now I feel better lol!

Location: Norman, Oklahoma