Subject: Grasshopper (?) from Panama
Location: Panama
Hello Bugman,
I photographed this -what I believe to be some kind of- grasshopper in Central Panama last month. It was sitting next to a similar looking mate with orange legs. They could both jump very far, that’s why I don’t think they were katydids. What makes me doubt my conclusion are the long and unusual antennae. Could you help with a positive ID? Would be glad to send you the picture of the other specimen if that helps. Thanks again!
Signature: Frank

Unknown Orthopteran

Wingless Grasshopper

Dear Frank,
We are relatively certain that this is an Orthopteran, a member of the insect order that includes Grasshoppers, but we don’t believe this is a Grasshopper.  We are going to contact Piotr Naskrecki, who is an expert in Katydids, another family within the straight winged order Orthoptera.

Piotr Naskrecki Responds
This is wingless grasshopper of the subfamily Rhytidchrotinae (Acrididae), most likely Piezops or Opaon.
Cheers,
Piotr

Location: Panama