Subject: Moth
Location: Gaborone, Botswana
March 4, 2014 1:27 am
Hi
I photographed this moth in Gaborone, Botswana. First time to see it. Please help with ID.
Regards
Signature: Dian

Emperor Moth

Emperor Moth

Dear Dian,
This is an Emperor Moth in the genus
Heniocha, and according to African Moths as well as the World’s Largest Saturniidae site, Heniocha dyops, the Marbled Emperor, is found in Botswana.  We will contact Bill Oehlke to see if he can verify our identification as there are several moths in the same genus that look quite similar.  We have an image of Heniocha marnois from South Africa in our archives.  Bill might also want to post your image to his own comprehensive website.

Bill Oehlke Responds
It is a good match for Heniocha dyops,  better than for any of the other current Heniocha species. The marginal area has more grey in it than I have seen before in any Heniocha species, so I cannot guarantee that the population in Botswana is a species as yet undescribed, but I think more likely it is just a variant of dyops.
I will post it on the dyops page and see how it fits.
Thanks for thinking of me.
Bill

Location: Gaborone, Botswana