Subject: slug
Location: South Africa
March 3, 2014 5:14 am
Hello.
I recently found this guy cruising around the backyard just before sunrise. I estimate the size to be 8cm long and about 4cm thick. I have never seen slugs like this before. Do you have any idea what type of slug this is?
Signature: Em

Slug

Leather Leaf Slug

Dear Em,
Slugs belong to the phyllum Mollusca and most members of the class are univalves and bivalves that live in the water, including snails, clams, oysters and mussels.  Octopi and squid are also molluscs.  Slugs are classified in the class Gastropoda.  The PHotographs of South Africa blog has some images that look similar to your slug, but lacking the stripe down the center of the body.  We are going to try to contact Susan Hewitt to see if she can provide any information.

Thank you very much for the help. I hope she knows and I get to see more – very pretty!
Em

Susan Hewitt responds:  Leather Leaf Slug
Hi Daniel and Em. This rather handsome, large land slug is a “leather leaf” slug in the family Veronicellidae — the mantle completely covers the body. However I don’t know enough to be able to tell you which genus or species it is. It may possibly be an introduced species in your area.

Thanks so much Susan! I do hope to see more around, very unusual slug. Regards.
Em

Location: south Africa

4 Responses to Leather Leaf Slug from South Africa

1. Susan J. Hewitt says:

2. The same slug is found in india. In satpuda mountains these are tremendous. These are also identified as Laevicaulis alte or spp. by ZSI of India, Kolkata. I am in confusion. This might be another species of Laevicaulis genus. Inform me your opinion.

3. Marianne says:

I have these in my garden by the hoards. I’ll take a video if you like and post it if you would like?