Subject: please help identify
Location: Candelon, NW Dominican Republic
March 1, 2014 8:15 am
Hi, This bug appeared in my gazebo recently here in the Dominican Republic. There are many types of bugs here but this is the first time I’ve seen this one. It measures approx 2″.
Our Haitian boys here tell me it’s dangerous an can kill a horse if bitten, but I think (hope !)that is probably an exaggeration. Body appears like black velvet. It seemed to be grazing on the newly painted concrete floor.
Any clue to what it is ?
Signature: Alistair Young

Tarantula Hawk

Tarantula Hawk

Dear Alistair,
This magnificent Spider Wasp is commonly called a Tarantula Hawk, but we cannot provide the exact species for you.  Female Tarantula Hawks hunt for Tarantulas, stinging them to paralyze them.  The Tarantula is then buried after the female Tarantula Hawk lays an egg on it.  The still living Tarantula provides a source of fresh meat for the developing larval wasp which feeds on the helpless, Tarantula.

Location: Candelon, Dominican Republic

One Response to Tarantula Hawk from the Dominican Republic

1. Nando says:

Wow that’s so crazy, I always heard about tarantula hawks and I was aware of tarantulas in the island but never ever imagined that we had hawks here!! That’s so exciting!!!