Subject: Do I have bedbugs?
Location: Elko, NV
February 26, 2014 12:31 am
Bugman
For the past week I have found these little bugs in my daughters room on her wall surrounding her night light. I get rid of them daily and each morning there are 5-10 more bugs around her night light. I have searched everywhere in her room for more of them, or to see if I can find a nest or more signs of them but nothing. I haven’t found them anywhere else in the house. She has no bite marks or rashes. I’m not sure how to get rid of them or find out where they are coming from. I have no pets but just moved into my home 5 months ago it is a older home and was vacant for 3 years prior to us moving in.
Please help me??
Signature: Freaked out by bugs.

Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Dear Freaked out by bugs,
You have a serious problem with either Bed Bugs, or another closely related, blood sucking relative in the family Cimicidae.  According to BugGuide, they are:  “ectoparasites of birds and mammals; most are associated with birds & bats, only 2 spp. (
Cimex lectularius and C. hemipterus) are permanently associated with humans.”  We urge you to take immediate action as you have an infestation, judging by the numbers you cite and the size of the individuals in the images you provided.  They are definitely reproducing nearby.

Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Even species not normally associated with humans will bite sleeping people if no other prey is available.  Most of the identification requests we receive of potential Bed Bugs are Carpet Beetle larvae or something too blurry to identify, but you have the real deal.

Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs

Thank you much for quick response.  Now I’m totally freaked out.  What is the best course of action to take to insure that I get rid of all of them? That they don’t come back?  Is this something I can do on my own or do I need to find professional help?

We just approved a comment to your site from a pest control agency that states:  “These are definitely bed bugs. Freaked out by bugs should definitely check the crevices of the daughter’s mattress, along with the sheets, pillows and night stand. There is definitely an infestation and it should be treated immediately.”  It would require incredible diligence on your part to eradicate the infestation.  This would be a situation where we believe the best course of action would be to have a professional assess the situation.  Eradication is compounded by the fact that Bed Bugs can survive a long time without feeding.

Location: Elko, Nevada

2 Responses to Bed Bug Infestation

1. These are definitely bed bugs. Freaked out by bugs should definitely check the crevices of the daughter’s mattress, along with the sheets, pillows and night stand. There is definitely an infestation and it should be treated immediately.