Subject: Large black bug in North Brazil
Location: North Brazil
February 24, 2014 5:19 am
Hello! I am really struggling to find out what species of beetle I have seen. It was very large (the size of my palm) but isn’t a titan beetle. It was black with very long antennae and sharp mandibles which the guide said was used to cut through wood, and it made a horrendous noise when it was picked up.
Here’s hoping you can help!
Signature: Poppy

blurry image of beetle:  Longicorn

blurry image of beetle: Longicorn

these images are too tiny and the detail is too poor to provide species information.  Do you have larger files?

Only the two attached I’m afraid – it’s really low res!
Sorry!
Poppy Riddle

Hey,
Might it be a type of root borer beetle? My friend has sent me some better res images of it!

Longicorn

Longicorn

Hi Again Poppy,
Thanks for sending the much better resolution images.  This is definitely a Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae, and we are also confident that it is in the subfamily Prioninae, the Root Borers.  We are creating a posting and we will attempt a species identification, however, this will need to wait until later as we must dash off to work.

Root Borer

Root Borer

Thank-you! I think the fact it was found in Northern Brazil keeps throwing me. I don’t know of any that look like that in that area?
Poppy

Hi again Poppy,
It looks like it might be a male
Ctenoscelis acanthopus which is pictured on the Worldwide Cerambycidae Photo Gallery and on Insects and More.

Location: North Brazil

2 Responses to Longicorn from Brazil

1. Sup,
    I belive you are correct in Ctenoscelis, but I think that C. acanthopus http://www.insetologia.com.br/2013/02/serra-pau-em-sao-paulo_9.html is a southern species. Northern species are C. ater and C. coeus http://www.insetologia.com.br/2013/11/serra-pau-ctenoscelis-no-amazonas.html, I believe you got the second one, but not sure.