Subject: Florida insect
Location: Orlando, FL
February 20, 2014 11:07 am
Hi, bugman. I’ve noticed these critters around my house in Orlando for a while now. I hate to kill anything unless I have to, so I left them alone. This morning, though, I noticed that there were dozens of them, and that they were hanging around the birdhouse the previous tenant had left (I’ve lived here about a year). The birdhouse is on a pole attached to the deck and is not in use right now, which I’m grateful for, since I have a cat. There’s an old nest in the birdhouse, and I think the bugs were living in it. I’m planning to take the birdhouse apart and remove the next soon, then put the birdhouse somewhere cats can’t get it. Anyway, there were so many bugs that I was horrified and sprayed them all with bug spray. I took this photo a week or so ago. Obviously, the bugs are mating. So what are they, and what do they do?
Signature: Karen in Orlando

Mating Red Shouldered Bugs

Mating Red Shouldered Bugs

Dear Karen,
These mating Red-Shouldered Bugs are actually quite benign, however they may become a nuisance if they are plentiful.

Location: Orlando, Florida