Subject: Could you identify this for me?
Location: South east
February 16, 2014 10:58 am
Found this on my pillow. Please don’t tell me it’s what I think it is.
Signature: Thank you , Derek

Unknown Bug found on pillow

Unknown Bug found on pillow is a Silverfish

Hi Derek,
The southeast is a large region.  This one has us stumped.  Its legs are too short to be a Cockroach nymph.  We are going to try to contact Eric Eaton to get his opinion since we are not sure how to begin to classify this critter.  It is possible that as an immature insect, it does not closely resemble the adult.  It is not a Bed Bug nor a Louse.  Perhaps one of our readers will write in and supply an answer.

Eric Eaton supplies an identification
No problem.  This is a silverfish, or related insect, that is missing both antennae and all three tail filaments.  Plus, all the scales have worn off its body.

Thanks for the assistance Eric.

4 Responses to Silverfish found on pillow

1. sccabrian says:

Hello there, is there any way to find out the size of this little dude? If it’s extremely small, it looks like a male scale insect, maybe Coccidae. I know that sounds like a stretch, but the strange leg spacing is what’s pushing me in that direction. Usually, you’d see some wings as well, but they’re super fragile. That’s my best guess, but I’m far from an expert (working on it though)!

2. No, it’s not a scale, it’s a silverfish. The flat legs together with the flat, overlapping thorax segments are what indicates this. Also, it still has the bases of the filaments that silverfish have at the end of the abdomen. This particular silverfish appears to have been through the wars, though, because most of the filaments have been broken off.

Thanks for both of your comments. We contemplated Silverfish, but at the time, we had no idea this individual was so traumatized. Eric Eaton wrote back with that identification as well. So, traumatized Silverfish it is.

3. Leslie says:

Thanks for the post. I found a bug, dead, just like this one, and it was right next to a healthy silverfish. I too was concerned about a bed bug situation and am happy to be able to link the two.