Subject: I love this website.
Location: Ashland, Oregon
February 17, 2014 7:53 am
Hello again, Daniel! I hope this letter finds you well. 🙂 I was just going through some old photos from last summer in Oregon and wanted to share them with you (a wooly moth, ants on a peony flower, and a yellow jacket in my cabin. ) I think I have the last two photos identified correctly, but just wanted to include them because I like the photos. The first one, however, I’m not really sure about. I love this little guy though, in my mind he looks like a sweet little sheep or maybe a strange new Star Wars character.
Signature: Rachel

Ants on Peony Bud

Ants on Peony Bud

Hi Rachel,
We are posting your image of Ants on a peony bud because it brings back such fond childhood memories.  Peonies are extremely long lived plants, and there are some plants in our mother’s garden in Ohio that are rumored to be over 100 years old.  They were brought by family members from Pennsylvania to Ohio, and in about 1960, moved to their current location.  We can recall the sticky buds of the peonies attracting large black ants as well as sweet loving wasps.  We remember being told that if the insects didn’t eat off the sticky covering, the buds would not open.  We wish we were able to identify your Ant species.  We will post your moth image in a unique posting.

Thanks, Daniel! 🙂 Here’s another image of the ants on the peony bud, not for identification purposes, but more so just for the fond memories that it brings to both of us! Enjoy!

Ants on Peony Bud

Ants on Peony Bud

Location: Ashland, Oregon