Subject: What is this!?!?
Location: Pomona, CA
February 13, 2014 3:00 pm
Hello Bugman,
About a month or so ago, my roommates and I noticed these fairly large beetle-like bugs starting to appear in our living room. They have very long antennaes and are almost always either on the ceiling or on walls. We live in southern California, about 30 miles inland from downtown LA.
Some things to consider:
*The room they are most frequently in is an add-on to the house (probably not insulated properly)
*The beetles seem to appear in the middle of the night/early in the morning (after 2am)
*The beetle has wings and can fly
Please help us identify this beetle and find some sort of method to prevent them from continuing to scare us!
Thanks so much, can’t wait to hear back from you.
Samantha
Signature: ???

Eucalyptus Borer

Eucalyptus Borer

Hi Samantha,
This is an invasive, exotic species commonly called a Eucalyptus Borer.  Do you have a wood burning stove or a fireplace?  Do you bring logs in to burn?  Did you bring eucalyptus logs into the house?  If the answer to those questions is yes, that explains the presence of the Eucalyptus Borers in your home.  If you do not burn wood, then perhaps there is an infested eucalyptus tree nearby and the Eucalyptus Borers are entering the room due to the poor insulation.

Thank you so much for responding!
You definitely helped me identify the problem. Now our living room is beetle-free!
Have a great day 🙂
Samantha Vaisman

Location: Pomona, California