Subject: Hi Daniel – Bug Rescued from Birdbath
Location: Hawthorne, CA
February 13, 2014 8:08 pm
I rescued this bug from the birdbath today and can’t for the life of me figure out what it is. It was still very wet in these photos, but I’m hoping you can help identify it. When I went back after a time to see if it had dried off, it and the stick it was on were gone.
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Glassy Winged Sharpshooter

Glassy Winged Sharpshooter

Hi Anna,
We are not going to award you the Bug Humanitarian Award for this Glassy Winged Sharpshooter, but we just might create a new tag of notoriety.  According to BugGuide, the invasive, exotic Glassy Winged Sharpshooter is:  “A major vector of Pierce’s disease on grape. Usually not a serious pest within its native range, this sp. was introduced into so. California, where it has become a serious threat to viticulture.”

Oh, my.  I wonder if I need to contact someone about this.

We wouldn’t trouble the authorities on this matter.  The Glassy Winged Sharpshooter is already established in Southern California.  Though we don’t endorse extermination, you might consider squashing any individuals you encounter in the future.

Location: Hawthorne, CA