Subject: Very strange asian bug
Location: South Vietnam
February 7, 2014 7:21 am
Hi! I live in Vietnam and found this flying around one day! It finally stopped and I got a good picture before it flew away. Nobody can figure out what it is; it looks like a bee crossed with a dragon fly to me but I assume that would be technically impossible 😉
Please tell me what it is! It’s been haunting me ever since!
Location: South vietnam, climate very hot and humid. The bug was seen in the playground of the school I work at and we are in the biggest city in Vietnam. River nearby.
Thanks a lot!
Signature: Sonia

Coffee Hawkmoth

Coffee Hawkmoth

Dear Sonia,
This is actually a diurnal or day flying moth in the family Sphingidae, the Sphinx Moth or Hawkmoths.  Day flyng species are sometimes confused for hummingbirds when in flight, so they are also called Hummingbird Moths.  Your individual is
Cephonodes hylas, which we found named the Coffee Hawk Moth on Butterfly House.  The Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic site has additional information.

Wow, thank you very much! I am very surprised that it is actually so common in Asia, and certainly hadn’t thought it had anything to do with a moth!
Thanks a lot for your quick response 🙂
Sonia

Location: South Vietnam