Subject: Hairy Catepillar
Location: Berbice, Guyana
February 3, 2014 10:17 am
Found this hairy caterpillar on a garage near mango trees in Berbice, Guyana. The locals said it was very poisonous and said the hairs would cause swelling and a rash. They said those who have touched them need immediate medical attention. Not sure if it was true, but I still kept a safe distance. Could you identify what type of caterpillar this is? Thanks.
Signature: TKozza

Flannel Moth Caterpillar

Flannel Moth Caterpillar

Dear TKozza,
The locals were wise to warn you about this stinging Flannel Moth Caterpillar in the genus
Megalopyge.  It is our understanding that the sting can be quite debilitating.

Location: Berbice, Guyana

4 Responses to Stinging Flannel Moth Caterpillar from Guyana

1. Rickie says:

I’ve had one of these fall out of a tree and land on my neck. It felt like someone laid a burning cigar on me as soon as it landed on me. The pain will go away in about :30 to an hour, but the burn mark will be there for about a week.
    I use Davis Kill-A-Bug IX (or XV), it kills anything that moves.

2. Kurt says:

I touched one when i was 8 years old. I was playing in the back of the house and saw it climbing a tree. I touched it and up to this day i remember my entire right side going numb like i was shocked by electricity. I was fine 2hrs later . I’m 52years old now and that is something I’ll always remember.

3. kevin says:

Anyone has a n original pic of this bug. Its a life and death situation.