Ed. Note:  February 3, 2013
This posting originally began as an addition to a Lady Beetle Larvae posting, but things got a bit complicated due to incorrect identifications, so we have retroactively created a new posting to try to address the errors.

Subject: Lady Beetles from Portugal
Location: Guimarães, Portugal
January 29, 2014
Danke Daniel (I am in Germany at the moment, soon to return to my beloved Portugal),
It’s hard to keep all the insect terms straight but that’s what is so great about the site is it educates us neophytes :^D
So, the 7 spot at least I have pics of in her (his) adult form as well, but in Porto (about 30km or so southwest).
And a couple others since I’m here and a little loopy tired…
So glad to know what I was seeing. Seems the 7 spot is native then to Europe even if the other is not. Funny how humans have so changed the world even beyond the Asian Lady. :^)
Muito obrigada to Mardikavana for the IDs. Awesome!
Later I’ll send some of the Asian variety spotted (ha ha) in Germany. :^)

Seven Spotted Lady Beetle
Lady Beetle

Hi again Curious Girl,
Neither species is native to North America, and BugGuide did not indicate if both are European.  We will do additional research on the Fourteen Spotted Lady Beetle.  According to Discover Life:  “
Propylaea quatuordecimpunctata is a European lady beetle that was probably accidentally introduced to North America by shipping in the St. Lawrence Seaway in the late 1960’s. These distinctively coloured little (4 or 5mm) beetles did not show up in Ontario until the 1990s, and only became common in the late 1990’s.”

Comment from Mardikavana
Actually both seven-spot ladybird and 14-spotted ladybird are widespread in Paleartic ecozone and thus can be found in Europe and Asia.
The depicted imago on the lower picture is not seven-spot ladybird. Are there more photos of that ladybird imago?

Update:  February 3, 2014
Mardikavana is indeed correct. I’m guessing the last image posted of the adult Lady is actually an Adonis Ladybird (Hippodamia/Adonia variegata) instead. My apologies. I just assumed 7 spots meant…
http://www.ladybird-survey.org/species_desc.aspx?species=6455%2059101
http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/adonis-ladybird
But what a cool name. =}
And they seem to be one of two lady varieties that bears maternally inherited flavobacteria that kill males only making them truly “ladies” I guess.
aka: Variabler Flach-Marienkäfer in German which means Variable Flat Lady Beetle.
Anyway, I do not have other pics that are very good of this particular lady bug but will send what I have (at bottom).
Maybe the other pic I sent previously that was not put up is indeed the 7-spot (so I’ll enclose that again as well). =D I had not been intended to take a picture of her, rather of the flower she’s on, but she showed up just as I was clicking the shutter and pulled it out of focus… it turns out tho I have one of her I’d forgotten about, before she landed on the flower as she’d been on my hand.

Lady Beetle

Lady Beetle

Dear Curious Girl,
In our feeble attempt to try to maintain accuracy, we have removed all unverified specific identifications on your original posting of Lady Beetle Larvae, and created a new posting with four of your photos of Lady Beetles.  Mardikavana has indicated that the first image is not a Seven Spotted Lady Beetle.  You have sent five additional images, and we are guessing they are all the same individual, but we are unclear if they are different from the misidentified photo we had already posted.  We are posting three of your new images and we are not identifying any to the species level at this time.

Lady Beetle from Portugal

Lady Beetle from Portugal

No, sorry that is my fault for not being more clear about what I was sending. Mardikavana asked for additional photos of the last picture (the imago which I had to look up to understand is the adult). So I sent 3 more of that individual (one that I believe is an Adonis — those were the first 3 photos). Then two more of a different one that I believe is indeed a 7-spot (including a repeat of a picture I sent previously that was not posted before with the original one that Mardikavana says is not a 7-Spot but which I believe is the Adonis).
The Adonis was found at Crystal Park in Porto in July while the other was from a couple months earlier in April near the Riberia in Porto. Both were 2013.

Lady Beetle from Portugal

Lady Beetle from Portugal

Dear Curious Girl,
We are still confused.  There is a new posting.  Please provide a comment on that posting regarding which photos are the same individual.  Photos that you are calling the first three do not necessarily justify according to your numbering when we receive the email.

Location: Portugal

3 Responses to Lady Beetles from Portugal

1. Curious Girl says:

Okay, 3 of these pictures are of the “Adonis” Lady taken in July while the one on the yellow flower and the one that is not put up that was on my hand is I believe the 7-spot which would correspond to the the larvae but I will let you and Mardikavana sort it out.

Until then I will celebrate that I’ve had one of the most active couple posts here this week… =]

Obrigada!

2. Curious Girl says:

Turns out the “Adonis” nameplate is actually a Britishism and these are called “Variegated” in the US. They are a tiny & elongated variety.